It’s Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas in the Heschel Neighborhood

Sigal Bezborodko

As New York City transitions into the holiday season, the Christmas trees across the street from Heschel return! The stand is open 24/7 and operated by two tree growers from Canada who come down to spread the joy of Christmas.

“It’s an experience when you’re buying a tree,” one salesman said. “We really try to make it as beautiful as possible, always adding details to the shack.” 

Regarding their location choice, they said that the buildings surrounding Heschel offer them decent prices for a permit to set up shop. They also expressed that other businesses around the city take issue with their stand and don’t allow them to promote their product, whether it be for religious or aesthetic reasons. 

The two men have a system for their 24/7 operation; each one works an 18-hour shift, and they sleep in a van parked around the corner. 

“We pretty much live on the street,” one of them said. 

According to the vendors, the real start of the season is the day after Thanksgiving, but the Heschel student body is already feeling the holiday spirit. 

“I love the spirit that it brings into the neighborhood,” said senior Michael Kaplan-Nolan. “It’s such a magical experience of walking towards the school, listening to Christmas music, and seeing the trees.”