Can Heschel Girls Varsity Basketball Thrive Out of a League?

As the girls junior varsity (JV) basketball team was moved to the Yeshiva League this year, the girls varsity team was left stranded, without a league. 

This decision–made by Jezel Encarnacion, the head of the high school Physical Education department, as well as head of high school Rabbi Noam Silverman–was made with the future of the basketball program in mind.

Last year, the girls varsity basketball team was part of the Private School Athletic Association. This league consists of an array of private schools throughout New York, such as Stony Brook, Martin Luther, Fieldston, Avenues, and more. Although varsity is not in a league this year, they still compete against a variety of private schools throughout New York City, such as Calhoun, Avenues, HANC, and Riverdale.

Members of the girls varsity basketball team had mixed feelings about the decision.

“Not being in a league is more stress free, less anxiety producing, but there is nothing to work for,” senior Malka Aderman-Alcorn said.  

Junior Molly Mandl simply said “I wish we were in a league.”

One highlight of the girls varsity basketball season was the Baltimore tournament, which still remains a part of the program despite the many changes that were made this season.