YU Basketball Team Shows Strong Support For Israel

As tensions on college campuses continue to rise in response to the ongoing Israel-Hamas war, Yeshiva University’s (YU) basketball team has shown unwavering support for Israel.

For many on the team, it has been difficult to justify continuing their season while Israel is facing such affliction. 

Head coach Elliot Steinmetz tweeted, “Starting another season of #d3hoops that will be like none I’ve experienced. I have a mixture of sadness, pride and hope. Sad for what our people are experiencing. Pride in how we are handling it. Hope for better days ahead. The emotions of basketball don’t even register.” 

In order to demonstrate support for Israel while playing, prior to each game, the team  wears shirts with images of the hostages taken by Hamas on Oct. 7. In their game against New York University (NYU), a college that has endured much conflict around this issue, YU stood strong during the singing of Hatikvah wearing the faces of the hostages on their chest.

Junior Nate Weiss said, “I think it’s great to see an established team like YU take a stance like this and spread awareness.”

Led by sophomore Zevi Samet, the young team has started their season off strong with a 5-3 record, but what is most striking about their season is the way they have been able to succeed while never taking their attention away from Israel. The YU Maccabees are playing for the Jewish people in Israel and all over the world.