Harvard’s President Resigned, but for the Wrong Reason

The Helios Editorial Board

On Jan. 2, Claudine Gay, Harvard’s former President, resigned after only six months in office. While Harvard’s board claims the reason for her resignation was plagiarism, the real motivation for this resignation is more complicated.

It is no coincidence that after the abysmal congressional hearing in which Gay evaded the question of whether those who call for the genocide of Jews on campus should be punished, she resigned. In fact, her resignation seemed like the proper solution to combat antisemitism on campus and restore Harvard’s reputation as a top university.

In a world where Jews already feel more alone than ever, they must now face attacks by the media for the “unjustified,” “racist,” and “sexist” resignation of Claudine Gay. If Harvard truly wanted to disown Gay’s statement at the congressional hearing, the reasoning behind her resignation should have directly included the antisemitism she allowed.

Instead, Harvard failed to give a clear-cut reason. By doing so, they failed to recognize a larger issue. Harvard cannot hide from the larger problem on their campus: rampant antisemitism. In their mission to satisfy the masses, they have failed to maintain the moral standard they set for themselves. 

Many students who hold pro-Israel views feel unsafe even after Gay’s resignation. In a lawsuit issued on Jan. 10, Jewish students claim that Harvard has discriminated against them and promoted the ideals of the pro-Palestinian groups taking over campus, making Jewish students feel at risk. How is it acceptable for those on a campus that promotes civil discourse to feel as if they cannot express their opinions or identities without serious risk?

In short, Harvard must take accountability for their actions over the past three months. They cannot continue to use Claudine Gay as a scapegoat. They cannot make students on campus feel as if they don’t belong. Education should not be ruled by a violent mob. Education should not discriminate against vulnerable groups. If Harvard wants to continue to be regarded as an institution of academic excellence, they must hold themselves to higher moral standards.