Families and Hostages Represent Israel at The State of the Union Address

On March 7, President Biden issued the State of the Union address to the nation.  The address’ guest list reflected many of the topics raised in his speech, particularly regarding the current conflict in Israel. As a guest of House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA), Mia Schem, a hostage released in the November deal, attended the president’s speech, along with family members of at least seventeen other hostages still held captive by Hamas. 

House Speaker Johnson explained, “I am proud to stand with Mia and join her in demanding the release of all the hostages still held by Hamas.” He remains an adamant supporter of Israel’s demands for the safe return of the hostages. Schem expressed her gratitude “for all the United States has done to assist Israel in their time of need.” Her attendance at the address symbolizes American support of Israel.

Republican Congressman Mike Lawler, accompanied by the mother and brother of American hostage Omer Neutra, said that he invited them so that when addressing the audience, President Biden would see the faces of the families and “reaffirm America’s commitment to bring their sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, husbands, wives, grandparents, and grandchildren home safely.” Biden’s statement did just that. Though tensions were high, the president promised “not to rest until all their loved ones returned home.”