David Riemenschneider Reflects on “Tremendous” Israel Trip

Both the sophomore class and the staff that accompanied them thoroughly enjoyed the Israel trip. Tenth Grade Dean David Riemenschneider reflects on his experience.

Riemenschneider described the trip as an opportunity to bond with his students and fellow teachers. “My favorite memories from the trip are the little moments with people,” he says. Riemenschneider recalled sitting by the bonfire in the Negev, singing songs and having meaningful conversations with students.

He particularly appreciated discovering a different side to many of the students. Riemenschneider claims he saw them “become almost new people.” He adds that sitting in a classroom for hours doesn’t work well for some students, and that seeing them outside of that environment put their real personalities on full display. Riemenschneider remembers seeing many smiles and laughter from the grade, and describes the trip as a much-needed break from school.

Riemenschneider said that rafting on the Jordan River was his favorite activity. He described it as an activity of pure fun, and liked interacting with students and sharing a boat with other faculty members.

Riemenschneider also shared that another favorite moment of the trip was driving into Jerusalem on the first day. “I felt very overwhelmed emotionally when we entered Jerusalem for the first time.” He mentioned that that was the moment in which he first truly processed where he was, and described it as one of the most powerful moments of the entire trip.

In his parting words for the grade, Riemenschneider encourages students to learn from their once-in-a-lifetime trip and to use the experience to continue to grow.