Heschel’s Mock Trial Team Wins State Championships

Each year, eight out of 400 teams from across New York State advance to the Mock Trial State Championships. After coming second to Hunter High School in a city-wide competition, the Heschel Mock Trial Team earned a spot at States for the first time in Heschel history. 

The Heschel Mock Trial team arrived in Albany on Sunday, May 21st. Sophomore Elana Farbiaz recalls, “Since this was Heschel’s first time making it to States, we were all so excited and in awe as we took in our surroundings.” That day, each team practiced and spent time getting to know students from other schools.

In a civil lawsuit, there are two sides: the plaintiff, who is suing, and the defense, who is being sued. This year’s case is about construction worker Remington Stone, who was electrocuted while renovating Marley Miser’s home. Remington, the plaintiff, is suing Marley, the defendant. On the morning of Monday, May 22nd, Heschel’s defense competed against Frewsburg’s plaintiff; in the afternoon, Heschel’s plaintiff competed against WT Clark’s defense. The judges gave valuable feedback to each team, though they were careful not to reveal which two teams would advance. 

That evening, Mock Trial Senior Captains Mira Cohen, Zoe Singer, Rose Buchdahl, Charli Lebwohl, and Joe Lyss, met with the team to congratulate them. Later, speakers from the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), the Mock Trial Competition’s sponsor, expressed their pride in all eight teams’ performances. 

At last, the finalists were announced: The Mount Academy, a Christian school in Esopus, New York, and the Abraham Joshua Heschel School. As soon as the speaker uttered Heschel’s name, the team began cheering and crying– only for a few moments, though, as they soon began to prepare for the finals.

On Tuesday, May 23rd, the day of the state finals, Heschel’s defense competed against The Mount Academy’s plaintiff. The courtroom was packed with competing teams and schools who had already lost but stayed to cheer on the finalists.

Judge John P. Cronan, who had evaluated the trial, announced that Heschel’s defense had won. While the Mock Trial team was elated, they responded with respect and humility.

The Mock Trial team thanks its amazing coaches– Heschel parent and federal judge Jesse Furman, Heschel parent and lawyer Jacob Buchdahl, and former attorney and Heschel’s current college counselor David Steinberg– for their guidance and support. They also extend a special thanks to Julia Bernstein and Didi Kalmanofsky for chaperoning and to Jessica Gribetz, who attended many earlier trials. Lastly, all members of the team extend their deepest gratitude to seniors and captains, without whom the team could not have accomplished this historic win.