Heschel Hockey: Where are the Banners?

Ever since the beginning of the season, I have noticed the glaring absence of the hockey team’s banners. Until this year, when students walked into the gym, they saw two large banners commemorating the hockey team’s hard work and achievements. For student-athletes, including myself, there is a sense of pride at seeing the championship banners of years prior. It cultivates a community within the team and demonstrates that Heschel sports have a significant history. Now, instead of the banners being displayed proudly, they have been folded away in the corner of the gym, never to be seen by students.

As a member of the hockey team, I find this very upsetting. The Heschel hockey team has a long history of excellence, and we should be able to present that. For the past year, it has felt like Heschel hockey has been pushed aside more than ever before: whereas in previous years, the hockey team has had access to the gym storage room to store our equipment, this year, we were forced to keep our equipment in a small closet in the girls’ locker room. As a result, our gear is constantly scattered around the locker room and has become a nuisance to many students. In addition, the hockey team’s practices are much later than any other team. These factors make many hockey team members, including myself, feel that we are less valued than other Heschel sports teams.

Hockey needs to be given the respect it deserves. Instead of letting our banners wrinkle in the corner, they must be hung up proudly for the entire student body to see. The hockey team needs more storage space, not only for the team’s sake but also for the other students who use the locker room. 

Although this year’s hockey season is at an end, there is always room to discuss improvements for future years. Hopefully, we can hold our heads up high in the upcoming season as a victorious and valued Heschel team.