Student Government is Working as Hard as Ever Planning New and Old Initiatives

While continuing with previous initiatives, the Student Government has also been working hard to support Heschel’s students throughout this difficult time of Israeli conflict. 

“Right now, the student body needs to be informed and supported with the war in Israel,” Programming Vice President Eden Bar-Chama said.

On Monday, Oct. 30, the Programming Council installed an art exhibit in the high school lobby containing numerous signs with hostages’ names, photos, and information about Oct. 7. In the middle of the lobby, a table is scattered with the imitated personal belongings of the hostages, including a Gemara, a geometry textbook, a kippah, a doll, and more.  

The Programming Council also hopes to teach upperclassmen how to respond to anti-semitism in college by bringing in speakers. More programming initiatives include reviving the global events newsletter, Shabbaton planning, and a judicial panel for the junior Talmud curriculum.

The Hesed and Tzedek council is creating a newsletter to guide students after Oct. 7, describing actions you can take to support Israel, tips on mental health, uplifting stories, and general knowledge about the conflict. 

The Council also hosted a very successful fundraiser supporting Magen David Adom: Israel’s national emergency medical, disaster, ambulance, and blood bank service. 

“Usually when the council runs the blood drive, there’s not that many people who donate, and there’s definitely not a line,” Hesed and Tzedek member and junior Olivia Levine said. “But when I got to school that day, everyone was waiting their turn, even though it might’ve made them late to class. It’s these kinds of selfless acts that define Heschel and make our community so strong.” 

Student Affairs has been working with the administration to advocate for a “catch-up time” for juniors. This would be a designated time for students to meet with their teachers and receive help on confusing assignments in a format similar to parent-teacher conferences. The plan is to hold it close to a popular SAT and ACT date, as well as before the research paper final draft and math final, benefiting students as well as faculty who will not have to sacrifice their free time to meet with students.

The Spirit Council was very busy planning Homecoming, which took place  Nov. 21, featuring illusionist Eric Wilzig, dinner, and, of course, a basketball game! The Heat took on Kushner and defeated them with an outstanding score of 69-16! 

Sophomore and Spirit Council member Zach Levy said, “There’s a lot of different components that the Spirit CCouncil does to bring together homecoming, and when it is homecoming, it’s always known as one of the most fun nights at Heschel during the year.” 

Spirit Council is also continuing to work on Heschel merch, posters, and the student government Instagram.

The Student Government has been exceedingly busy ensuring the student body has the resources to support Israel while also taking care of each individual’s well-being.