Superior Supermarket Sushi

Heschel students love having sushi for lunch, but as teacher meetings and sit down lunches don’t go hand-in-hand, most students satisfy their cravings at Morton Williams. Heschel is surrounded by numerous supermarket sushi options, but which one is the best?

The classic Morton Williams spicy tuna roll costs $7.99 (plus tax) for ten large pieces. As the rolls themselves are large in size, they are difficult to fit in your mouth. Additionally, the sushi is very cold and heavily reliant on soy sauce for flavor. 

A few blocks further is Brooklyn Fare, whose spicy tuna roll is very similar to that of Morton Williams, though it is $11.99 (plus tax) for 12 smaller pieces. If not for the spicy mayonnaise, the roll would taste like vegetable sushi with a hint of fish. The avocado is soft and fresh and the accompanying ginger is not too tangy, but the roll itself falls apart easily and has artificial undertones. 

On 57th street is Hudson Market. Their spicy tuna roll is also $11.99 (plus tax) for 12 pieces, but it is significantly better than the other two supermarkets. Their roll is restaurant quality and tastes fresh at all hours of the day. Though they do offer only a spicy tuna crunch roll, both the fish and the avocado are delicious and flavorful without the need for added sauces. The roll is soft and does not fall apart when picked up with chopsticks. 

Even though Hudson Market is not conveniently located across the street from Heschel like Morton Williams, their sushi is notably superior to the other two nearest supermarkets. So walk those three extra blocks and grab a bite to eat!