Pro-Israel Rallies Take Place Across the World

The world mobilized to support Israel’s right to defend itself after Hamas’ unprecedented attack. In Times Square, people organized demonstrations, including the “Bring them home NOW” march on Oct. 19 and the “Empty Chairs Broken Hearts” demonstration on Oct. 26. 

Gatherings in support of Israel did not take place in only the United States. A protest was recently held in Melbourne, Australia, where citizens raised photos of kidnapped Israeli children. Chants of “bring them home” pervaded Caulfield Park as people draped themselves in Israeli flags to demonstrate their support. Performers sang and read poetry to bring peace and hope to the crowd. 

David Southwick, an Australian liberal politician, attended the protest. 

“We didn’t start this war, we didn’t want this war,” he said. “And yet we have terrorists cross the border, kill innocent civilians, murder babies, children, women, and kidnap toddlers.” 

France’s support for Israel has been steadfast; its Jewish population is the largest in Europe and the third-biggest in the world after Israel and the United States. The Eiffel Tower was lit up in blue and white with the star of David to show solidarity with Israel.

“Those who confuse the Palestinian cause with justifying terrorism are committing a moral, political and strategic error,” President of France Emmanuel Macron said. “We will do everything so that these hostages, regardless of their nationality, are freed.” 

France also emphasized that they would protect their Jewish citizens at any cost and be “ruthless toward all those who bear hate.” 

The French Government has reported 486 arrests for antisemitic acts, ranging from verbal abuse to the attempted murder of a young Jewish woman.