Son of Hamas Leader Denounces Hamas

The son of a prominent Hamas leader gives his unwavering support for Israel after recognizing the evil of Hamas. 

Mosab Hassan Yousef, son of the co-founder of Hamas, Sheikh Hassan Yousef, released a statement denouncing Hamas for its ruthless actions and crimes against humanity in response to the Oct. 7 attack.

Born in Ramallah, Yousef claims he was indoctrinated with Hamas ideology from birth. At 10 years old, he was arrested for throwing rocks in the First Intifada and at 17 for smuggling guns. 

After he was arrested in Israeli prison, Yousef learned about the other side of the Israeli-Palestine conflict that had been hidden from him for his entire life. Growing up, Yousef was treated “like a prince,” but after witnessing the horrors of Hamas, he decided to turn his back on his family, convert to Christianity, and leave behind everything he had ever learned as a Palestinian child. While in Meggido Prison in Israel, Yousef watched as countless Hamas prisoners planned attacks and suicide bombings and tortured many of their own members for being supposed Israeli collaborators. 

In 1996, he agreed to collaborate with the Shin Bet and became a spy following his release from prison in 1997. Yousef became an incredibly helpful asset in helping the Shin Bet prevent suicide attacks and arrest important Palestinian terrorists. In 2010, he wrote an international bestseller autobiography titled Son of Hamas about his experience going from a Hamas “prince” to an Israeli spy. 

On British broadcaster Piers Morgan’s talk show, Yousef held Hamas responsible for the current war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza and for the death of civilians. “Unfortunately, now Hamas left Israel and the free world as well, with no choice but to fight them and put an end to their violence. Many civilians are dying. I understand this,” Yousef said. “Their blood is on the hands of Hamas and Hamas only.” 

Yousef also urged Israel to assassinate his father. “When I say execute top leaders, I mean no exceptions; that includes my own father.” 

In the current hostage negotiation, Yousef understands why Israel agreed to the prisoner exchange, though he believes that Israel should not succumb to the pressure of releasing terrorists in exchange for innocent Israeli hostages. He referred to the deal in which Hamas terrorist Yahya Sinwar was freed in exchange for Gilad Shalit, saying, “I don’t recommend the release of a single terrorist. We cannot compromise or bend to global pressure when it comes to Hamas… Look what happened. He was the architect of Oct. 7.”

Yousef’s statement following the Oct. 7 attack encapsulates his ideological shift from a Hamas “prince” to an important pro-Israel advocate.