Mice Spotted Scampering Around Heschel Halls

Eliya Yehudai

Mice have recently been spotted in Heschel halls. A recent sighting was at 9 a.m. on Dec. 4, on the second floor around rooms 227 and 228. 

Junior Maya Seltzer said, “I was doing work with my friends when out of the corner of my eye I saw a small gray mouse run from under the door of the Beit Midrash and into the hall. Nobody believed me, until a couple minutes later when we heard screams from the 10th grade English class next door.” 

Following the screams, many peered in to see what the commotion was about. At the sight of students on top of their desks, it was evident that Seltzer was right after all: a mouse was scampering around the second floor. 

In the days following, chatter of the mice filled the halls. Junior Lila Nanasi recalled seeing mice last year too. 

“I was walking down the staircase with glass windows when I noticed a dead mouse lying on the איכה mural at the bottom of the staircase,” she said.

Rabbi Dahlia has also had a problem with mice in her office. 

“I opened my drawer to look for my chocolate and it was all eaten up. Now, every morning, Gisel and I go to my drawer and check if the mouse is there,” Rabbi Dahlia said. “I am not afraid of mice one bit and I am happy to share my office with them. I am afraid of my drawer! I do not want to find a dead mouse in [there].”

Considering that many other students and faculty members have reported mouse sightings, clearly there is a larger issue at hand. For now, everyone should be conscious of leaving food around school, especially in their lockers, and hopefully this issue will be resolved when we return from break.