Hunger Games Review

The latest addition to the Hunger Games phenomenon, The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, surprises fans with the release of the fifth movie after an eight-year hiatus. Serving as a prequel to the original series, the film takes the viewers back to the series’ origin story. It provides a deeper understanding of the universe in which the franchise is set and a better grasp of what led to antagonist President Snow’s uprising and his claim to fame. 

The movie delves into the early days of Panem, the nation where the series is based on, showing us the circumstances that set the stage for the Hunger Games saga. The film focuses on Snow’s early days, which prove to be as fascinating as they are disturbing. The film gives insight into his rise to power and what eventually led to him becoming the antagonist figure we know and love. 

The film does a superb job cinematically and immerses the audience into the film. Its portrayal of the diverse regions in Panem effectively conveys the contrast between the struggling, lower-class districts with the wealthier districts and the prosperous Capital. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes expands on the Hunger Games world and keeps the excitement going. The movie is a must watch for those who are returners to the franchise. If you have yet to watch or read any of the content from the original Hunger Games series or are simply interested in this dystopian world, this movie is an excellent choice for your next movie night.