Heschel Basketball Teams Had Mixed Seasons

The Heschel basketball teams had plenty of both success and challenges in the 2023-24 season. The boys’ Varsity team secured the 4th seed in the playoffs after a 38-36 victory against the SAR Sting with a game-winning shot by senior Hunter Bernhardt. Unfortunately, their season came to an end with a 37-47 loss to Ohr Yisroel in the playoffs.

Senior Ben Hymowitz, the starting center on the boys’ Varsity team, enjoyed the season this year. 

“This season has been full of ups-and-downs and has overall been a fun ride,” he said.

The boys’ junior varsity (JV) team ended the season at 0-12. 

Freshman Noah Margolis, the starting shooting guard for the boys’ JV team, said, “It’s upsetting because we know that we are not playing to our full potential. There are holes in our game that we definitely need to fix.”

The girls’ Varsity team is not playing in a league this season, but continues to have practices, while the girls’ JV team sits at 1-6.

Junior Leeraz Joseph, small forward for the girls’ Varsity team, says the team was initially unhappy about not being in a league. 

“When we first heard that we weren’t going to be in a league, we were very discouraged and disappointed,” she said. “But throughout the season, we’ve recognized that not being part of a league is helpful. We didn’t have the best results in the league, so taking a step back to work on core skills was helpful for us.”

Freshman Sophie Klarfeld, the starting power forward for the girls’ JV team, is dissatisfied with their performance. 

“Our record isn’t as good as it should be,” she said. Klarfeld identified “a lot of space for improvement” for the team.

Congratulations to all the teams on their hard-fought seasons.