David Portnoy Wins One Million Dollars Bet on the Michigan vs. Alabama Rose Bowl

The college football semi-final game, known as the Rose Bowl, took place in Pasadena, California on Jan. 2. The Michigan Wolverines played a long-awaited game against the Alabama Crimson Tide. 

David Portnoy, Michigan alum and owner of Barstool Sports, a popular sports and pop culture blog, bet $1 million dollars on Michigan defeating Alabama in the Rose Bowl. 

“I will be betting 1 million on Michigan. That’s how confident I am,” Portnoy posted on X. 

The huge bet was no surprise in light of Portnoy’s gambling history. Although Portnoy has had many successful bets, he has had an immense number of losses as well, including a $70,000 bet on the 2022 Super Bowl. Eventually, he decided to quit gambling. Despite this, Portnoy remained confident that the Michigan Wolverines would defeat Alabama. 

As thrilled as Portnoy was after Michigan’s victory, he still showed some sympathy towards the Alabama team. 

He expressed his joy on X about Michigan advancing to the college national championship game in Houston. 

“Now we’re going to Houston. We ain’t done. This is about the national title,” Portnoy said. After the Michigan Wolverines were triumphant against Washington in Houston, they won the National Championship. Michigan fans celebrated this victorious win in Texas along with their team and are eager for upcoming games.