Trump Claims Jewish Democrats “Hate Israel,” Prompts Reaction from Jewish Groups

Last March, former President Donald Trump faced immediate outrage following a podcast interview, during which he said that any Jew who votes in favor of the Democratic party hates Israel and “their religion.” 

Trump justified these statements by claiming that “the Democrat party hates Israel.” This prompted a firm response from the White House, as a spokesperson referred to the comments as “unhinged antisemitic rhetoric.” Jewish groups such as the Anti-Defamation League, the Jewish Democratic Council of America, and the American Jewish Committee have also criticized Trump’s remarks. 

Junior Ezra Sapadin, co-head of the Israel Club, views Trump’s comments as another attempt to polarize American politics. “This is all part of [Trump’s] agenda to demonize the Democratic party,” Sapadin said. “He is trying to convince Jews that the Democratic Party is completely against Israel,” he continued. 

Sapadin claims that Trump’s comments were an attempt to gain Jewish votes and distance Jews from his opposing party. 

When asked about the accuracy of the statements, Sapadin said, “It is a completely false portrayal. Congressman [Ritchie] Torres, for example, is both a Democrat and avidly pro-Israel.”

Sapadin believes that Trump’s comments are simply an attempt to 

Trump’s campaign later defended his claims. “The Democrat Party has turned into a full-blown anti-Israel, anti-Semitic, pro-terrorist cabal,” said a spokesperson. This claim is possibly in reference to the recent actions of some far-left progressive Democrats in response to the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas. For example, Michigan Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib’s refusal to condemn the Oct. 7 attacks, or multiple members of Congress holding up “Ceasefire Now” signs at President Joe Biden’s State of the Union address.