Gabe Barnett Speaks with Heschel High School About Jewish Advocacy in the White House

On March 19th, during Hachana l’Shabbat, Heschel Alumnus Gabe Barnett addressed high schoolers about his role in the White House. Barnett is a Senior Advisor in the Office of Public Engagement and currently serves as the Acting White House Liaison to the American Jewish Community, as well as a Senior Legal Assistant in the White House Counsel’s Office.

Sophomore Zeke Abramson Burdman said, “I thought he was a great speaker and he talked a lot about how important it is to ask questions and connect with teachers. I wish he spoke more about the actual policies he works on, though.” 

Barnett shared his gratitude toward The Heschel School for fostering Jewish pride and a strong sense of community. He explained that these unique values made building connections and relationships with teachers less intimidating – setting a solid foundation for college and other professional interactions. 

After this program, seniors had the opportunity to hear about White House policies before and during the current Israel-Hamas war from Barnett in a more intimate setting.

Barnett’s insights and experience advocating for the Jewish community in a world with rising anti-semitism provided the student body with hope and knowledge, as well as practical values of communicating with teachers.