Ritchie Torres Affirms Pro-Israel Stance

On Mar. 26th, U.S. Representative Ritchie Torres (NY-15) recently visited Heschel High School to discuss the ongoing war in Israel. 

Since the Oct. 7 attack, Torres has been steadfast in his support for Israel’s right to self-defense, even in the face of harassment and vandalism from pro-Hamas protesters. When asked how he could be both a progressive political leader and pro-Israel, he responded, “how could you not be?” Torres feels that it is his duty to defend Zionism despite opposition from his party. “It was incredibly powerful to hear Ritchie Torres speak and feel the strength of someone who supports Israel so passionately, especially as someone who isn’t Jewish,” said Junior Maya Seltzer. “His message about always standing firm in your beliefs and advocating for what you know is right, regardless of outside pressures, really resonated with me.”

Junior Abby Bruhim echoed similar sentiments. She said, “Torres truly embodies the values of our school and eloquently expressed his support for the Jewish community.”

Finally, junior Daphne Stifelman said, “It really struck me that Torres no longer speaks to his sister because of his unwavering support for Israel. His strong advocacy is really reassuring.”

The Heschel community extends our heartfelt gratitude to Ritchie Torres for graciously sharing his time and insights with our faculty and students.