The Administration Should Make the Israel Trip a Tenth-Grade Tradition

Having recently returned from my gradewide Israel trip, I think it is safe to say my grade has grown significantly closer. As despondent as I was when I found out my eighth-grade Israel trip had to be canceled due to COVID, I now know that it was a blessing in disguise.

The Israel trip is a time for individual growth, but more importantly, communal growth. It is important to foster strong relationships at any point in school, but especially amidst a stressful junior year of high school. If it were not for our trip this year, I would not have developed certain friendships and relationships with teachers and classmates. Experiencing things such as sleeping under the stars, going to Yad Vashem, and interacting with new cultures would not have been nearly as meaningful if I hadn’t been surrounded by my classmates. Because of this, I believe the Israel trip should become a tenth-grade tradition permanently. 

For one, there are many complicated realities and moments for immense growth which can be hard to fully appreciate in eighth grade. The importance of connecting to the land itself is imperative to the evolution of Jewish adulthood. In addition, eighth graders don’t get the same communal-based benefits of the trip because they will not be with that same group of people for years after the trip as tenth graders. An initial misfortune turned out to help me shape my identity and friendships. Having the amazing experience I did, I am confident that the trip should become a high school tradition.