Heschel Heat Soccer Teams Kick Off the 2023 Season

Our girls’ and boys’ soccer teams have officially began the 2023 fall season! Both teams started the season off strong, winning their first couple of games. The boys are led by returning head coach, Jaime Gonzalez Palma and are welcoming a new assistant coach, Opeyemi Agosa. The girls’ team is welcoming two new coaches this season: head coach, George Alaverdashvili and assistant coach, Tehila Zaghi. 

George, who played professional soccer in Georgia for 15 years, is thrilled to be coaching, saying “Soccer is my life! I have played every single day since I was five years old.” Despite never coaching high school girls soccer before, George has clear goals for this season, many of them are already coming true. “We need to make sure that the girls are getting better with every game. The important thing is to win as much as possible,” he said. 

As someone who also played women’s soccer at a Jewish high school, assistant coach Tehila is a relatable figure to the girls team. “Sometimes people underestimate girls when they come from a Jewish team” she said”It’s our job to play classy from start to finish.” Like George, Tehila is feeling very optimistic about the season. “It’s a lot of fun. The girls are really energetic,” she said. 

Junior Ezra Sapadin, a member of the boys soccer team, has high hopes for the boys season. “Our team is looking great. The chemistry is there. I feel like we have a strong chance at going to the championship.”