Israeli Citizens Rescue Abandoned Animals

Amid the ongoing Israel-Hamas conflict, many kibbutzim have been evacuated, leaving pets and animals behind. Driven by Let the Animals Live, an Israeli non-profit organization, heroic citizens have returned to these evacuated areas to rescue the animals. 

Let the Animals Live also communicates with the Israeli military in order to aid the animals still trapped in restricted areas. A select group of soldiers have been assigned to distribute food to the animals and free the ones stuck under rubble. 

After the animals are rescued, an organization called Eilat Animals takes them in and tends to their injuries. As many of the animals have broken bones and wounds, Eilat Animals has employed veterinarians and pet clinics for additional assistance. Once the animals recover, Eilat Animals locates shelters or families willing to adopt them. 

Transporting and relocating farm animals like cows, goats, donkeys, and chickens is more complex than domestic animals, largely due to their size and different environmental needs. As a result, they’ve been brought to animal shelters and zoos in northern Israel to receive the care they need, including clean drinking water, a sufficient amount of food, medicine, and vitamins.  

Aside from these organizations, Israelis have turned to social media to reconnect owners with their pets. Through Facebook, Instagram, and even WhatsApp, pets have been reunited with their families. 

As students living in a different country, it can seem impossible to help out with this issue, but there are many ways to give support from afar. Heschel encourages donations to Israeli organizations like Let the Animals Live and Eilat Animals, along with writing messages of support to the Israeli military, especially to those helping with the animal rescue initiative. Raising awareness about animals still in distress is another way to generate support.